Our Publication Subsidy Scheme supports quality scholarly publication in the humanities. Subsidies of up to $3000 are awarded to support costs associated with publication, such as illustrations, maps and copyright fees.
Since 1970 the scheme has supported 303 scholars.
Sir Frederick and Peter White Fund
The Sir Frederick and Peter White Fund is a $500 subsidy to support archaeological publications. Applicants can apply to the Fund for a stand-alone subsidy or in addition to the maximum $3000 available through the Publication Subsidy Scheme. The Fund runs every four years and will be open again in 2018.
Subsidies are available to permanent resident scholars in Australia working in the humanities. Applications are accepted from independent scholars as well as those based in institutions. Other eligibility criteria includes:
- The publication to be subsidised should focus on a topic in the Humanities, defined as those discipline areas for which the Academy is responsible: Archaeology; Asian Studies; Classical Studies; English; European Languages and Cultures; History; Linguistics; Philosophy and the History of Ideas; Religion; Cultural and Communication Studies; and The Arts.
- Interdisciplinary work is encouraged, provided it includes a substantial proportion of work in the Humanities.
- The Academy will accept one (1) resubmission from a previously unsuccessful applicant in respect of the same publication.
- Recipients may receive funding under this scheme not more than twice in their careers.
- Monographs are preferred to edited collections. However, edited collections that demonstrate a clear scholarly achievement or relevance will be considered.
- The proposed publications will be assessed on their academic rigour, their likely impact within a specialist academic community, and their potential to advance knowledge of the Humanities within the wider community.
- Preference will be given to scholars in the early stages of their careers and relative to opportunity.
Refer to the rules of the award for full details.
How to apply
Application are now open and will close AEST 5:00pm April 4, 2018
Before applying, please review the rules of the award for eligibility, selection criteria, information required, conditions and frequently asked questions.
All nominations are to be made via our online application system.