Medal for Excellence in Translation
The Medal for Excellence in Translation is a major national award that recognises outstanding achievement in translation. This award celebrates the vital role of translators and translation in Australian culture and scholarly discourse. It adds to the growing recognition of work in this field which recognises lifetime achievement.
The Medal is awarded biennially for a book-length translation into English of a work of any genre (including scholarship) from any language and period.
“Translation is the lifeblood of intercultural communication in Australia and throughout the world” said Emeritus Professor Brian Nelson FAHA, Chair of the Expert Advisory Panel for the Medal for Excellence in Translation. “Uniquely, this award aims to heighten appreciation of the role of Australian translators across a range of texts from creative literature to scientific and scholarly works, all of which are eligible for consideration.”
The winner of the Medal for Excellence in Translation receives a medal, certificate and monetary prize of $1000.
The inaugural medal was awarded in 2016.
The award is open to Australian scholars and translators who have published a book-length translation into English within three years prior to nomination.
- Nominations will be accepted from the publisher of the translation (not necessarily Australia-based), another individual, or the translator her/himself.
- Nominees must be living Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- The translation must be in the form of a book. Translations published as books, or e-books, are eligible. All nominated works must be publicly available and have an ISBN.
- The translation must be into English.
- The translation must have been published within the three calendar years prior to the deadline for nominations (for the 2018 award this will be 2015, 2016, and 2017).
- The Academy will only accept one nomination per author in the year that the award is being offered.
- Multi-authored translations are eligible for nomination.
Refer to the nomination guidelines for full details
How to apply
Nominations are now open and will close AEST 5:00pm April 4, 2018
Before applying, please review the nomination guidelines for eligibility, selection criteria, information required, and conditions.
All nominations are to be made via our online application system