Free public event, Sydney - Gender-based Violence roundtable discussion
Time and date: 4pm-5pm Tuesday 24 September, 2019
Location: The Galleries, John Niland Scientia Building, UNSW Sydney’s Kensington Campus
Overview: The Gender-based Violence roundtable event will draw on the expertise of leading experts in the field of gender-based violence to explore the latest findings in scholarship in the humanities and social sciences on this pressing global problem. Our speakers will examine how gender-based violence is represented across a wide range of media and texts to sustain cultures of abuse; how gender-based violence has evolved from an historical perspective through to the present; and how cultural and workplace contexts contribute to perpetuating these harms. The discussion will draw on current research from Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region and consider the policy implications of the discussion.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr Sarah Cook — UNSW Director, Institute for Global Development (roundtable moderator)
- Associate Professor Jan Breckenridge — Co-Convener, UNSW Gendered Violence Research Network
- Professor Vera Mackie —Director, Centre for Critical Human Rights Research, University of Wollongong
- Michele Robinson — Director, Evidence to Action, Australia’s National Research Organisation for Women’s Safety (ANROWS)
- Professor Zhang Yi — Chinese Academy of Social Science's National Academy of Social Development
The roundtable discussion will be followed by a reception at 5pm.
We are grateful for the generous support by UNSW Sydney in hosting this event.
Registration: This is a free public event, open to all. Click the 'register' button below.