The Publication Subsidy Scheme
The Academy's Publication Subsidy Scheme provides support of up to $3,000 for the publication of scholarly works of high quality in the humanities. The scheme is designed to assist humanities scholars based in Australia. Both independent scholars and those working within an institution are eligible to apply.
Applicants must consult the Rules of the Award before applying [Rules of the Award.pdf 132KB
]. Applications must include all of the following:
- A Cover Sheet, signed and dated by the applicant [Cover Sheet.doc 180KB]
- A completed Application Form [Application Form.doc 224KB]
- An assessment of the work by a recognised scholar in the field
- Correspondence from the publisher demonstrating support for the work
- A publisher’s reader’s report
Applications are assessed by the Academy's Awards Committee and rated according to academic merit and demonstrated need for a subsidy. Priority is given to works that require a subsidy for their viability as a publishing venture, or for the inclusion of essential items such as illustrations, photographs or maps. Applicants need to prove that they have limited access to funds to complete publication of the work, or that without the subsidy the work would go either unpublished or be published in a diminished capacity. Please note that a Publication Subsidy cannot be awarded to books that are published before the Awards Committee makes its decision.